05 January 2017

Another crash

I should have stayed in bed.  Granite said they would have no snow days, but if the snow was too much, keeping your kids home would be fine.  I wanted to stay in bed.  I didn't want to get up and out in the cold.  But, I thought, I should be a good mom.  I should get my kids ready and get out the door.  We'll be just fine, we'll just go slow.  I should have stayed in bed.

From Kathleen's house, we made it most of the way on 3500 S.  We were barely moving at all.  When we did move forward, it was inches at a time.  We were so close to turning onto 2700 S., but never even made it to the turn lane when the guy behind us PLOWED into the back of us.  I wondered how he could hit us so hard when traffic pretty much wasn't moving almost at all. 
At least it wasn't my fault.  We got a rental, I had to fight to get a van.  But I needed something we could all fit into.  A tiny little compact wouldn't cut it.  They had our van almost two weeks when they finally decided it was a total loss.  Then we had a choice.  Get paid for the totaled van, or keep the van, and still get $5500 or so.  We took the money and kept the van.  We would never find a van like that for they money they offered.  (Which wasn't much more than the $5500).  It has a 6 dvd changer with the tv, heated front seats, an automatic sun roof.  We love it.  And everything on the market was missing all the good stuff.  My dad and Quinton took sledgehammers to the back of it to pound out the huge dent and pull the frame enough that the stow and go seating would still work.  And, that was it!  
Here is the other guy.  He was just a kid, and I'm pretty sure he was texting or otherwise on his phone.  How else could he slam into the back of us so hard?  At least he had insurance.


The kids made it to school by about 11 am.  It was ridiculous.   

0 comments: